FOSS4G 2021 Environmental Sustainability Track
Microsoft AI for Earth will be hosting a track of talks during FOSS4G 2021 Buenos Aires to discuss how FOSS4G can help meet the environmental sustainability challenges of our era.
We're inviting people to submit abstracts for talks that will speak on topic areas that together explore the question: what can we as the FOSS4G community do to help environmental sustainability and the world's response to the climate crisis?
The track will be organized into four sections, each dealing with a component of what we see as critical to tackle many of the challenges the climate crisis presents. These components, along with some example questions to explore, are:
- Data: What data is available for this type of work? How do we educate the community about the different data types and datasets to fully take advantage of the information that is collected?
- Access: How do we better enable access to open data, both at a global and local level? How do we enable users of the data to find the data they need, and combine datasets seamlessly?
- Analytics: How do we efficiently derive insights from these data? What techniques or technologies are currently being underutilized in their application to environmental sustainability in particular or geospatial analysis in general?
- Applications: How are these data and insights actually used to inform and effect decisions that have real impact on the climate crisis? What do we need to do to make open data and tech more effective for climate change mitigation and adaptation?
We are requesting submissions for talks about one of these components; each talk will be 25 minutes long with a short Q&A session afterwards. The talks can be on any related topic, but should explore the following questions:
- What technology or science is available as opensource solutions currently that can be taken advantage of more in environmental sustainability work? What will it take to enable adoption?
- What is the work that needs to be done the open data and open source ecosystems to better support environmental sustainability efforts?
- How can the open source community help?
Please indicate if you'd also be willing to be part of a panel discussion, which may be organized as part of the track depending on the submissions that are collected by this call.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can enter proposals until 2021-06-23 23:59 (UTC), 1 day, 3 hours from now.