2021-10-01, 13:30–14:00, Ushuaia
GeoPackage is becoming a pervasive tool to share data among systems. But how well does it transfer meta-information, and how well does it handle large datasets? The presentation will introduce the work GeoSolutions performed during OGC Testbed 16, to answer those questions. In addition to the above, we’ll discuss handling large raster GeoPackages with GeoServer.
GeoServer is a web service for publishing your geospatial data using industry standards for vector, raster and mapping. It powers a number of open source projects like GeoNode and geOrchestra and it is widely used throughout the world by organizations to manage and disseminate data at scale.
GeoPackage is becoming a pervasive tool to share data among systems. But how well does it transfer meta-information, and how well does it handle large datasets? The presentation will introduce the work GeoSolutions performed during OGC Testbed 16, to answer those questions. In particular:
- An introduction to two large vector datasets by Ordnance Survey, ZoomStack and MasterMap topography.
- Embedding full meta-information in a GeoPackage, including metadata, styles and icons, as well as operational pictures and provenance information.
- Handling arrays and enumerated fields in an efficient, queryable way.
- Optimizing the internal structure of a GeoPackage for more efficient data retrieval.
- Splitting large GeoPackages in parts to gain both efficiency and ease of update.
In addition to the above, we’ll discuss handling large raster GeoPackages and how GeoServer handles all of the above.
Andrea Aime (1)
Simone Giannecchini (1)
(1) GeoSolutions Group (https://www.geosolutionsgroup.com)Track –
Use cases & applicationsTopic –
Data collection, data sharing, data science, open data, big data, data exploitation platformsLevel –
2 - Basic. General basic knowledge is required.Language of the Presentation –
Open source enthusiast with strong experience in Java development and GIS. Personal interest range from high performance software, huge data volume management, software testing and quality, spatial data analysis algorithms, map rendering. Full time open source developer on GeoServer and GeoTools.
Received the Sol Katz's OSGeo award in 2017.
- Serving earth observation data with GeoServer: COG, STAC, OpenSearch and more
- Creating Maps in GeoServer using CSS and SLD
- Demystifing OGC APIs with GeoServer: introduction and status of implementation
- The secret life of open source developers
- State of GeoServer
- State of GeoWebCache
- Crunching Data In GeoServer with Discrete Global Grid Systems (DGGS)
- Adding Quality Assurance to open source projects: experiences from GeoTools, GeoWebCache an GeoServer
Simone Giannecchini is the founder and managing director of GeoSolutions. He is a Charter Member of OSGeo, the Open Source Geospatial foundation. He is also a member of the Steering committee for the GeoTools as well as the GeoServer Open Source projects.